Dissertations and Theses
The resources below need to be accessed within a university library. A good research library will give quick access to most of these databases.
- Proquest’s Dissertations and Abstracts – search.proquest.com
- OCLC First Search – very large database but allows for you to search just dissertations. firstsearch.oclc.org
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations – www.oatd.org
- American Historical Associations historians.org (look for publications & directories. On that page look for the dissertations link).
- Electronic Theses Online Service (Ethos) from the British Library. 500k dissertations. ethos.bl.uk
- Bradley & Muller list out Harvard has having an international list of dissertations at http://guides.hcl.harvard.edu/dissertations but that link seems to be broken.
- One might search for dissertations by looking up a department, and doctoral students and who they are advising. Scholars can point to people working on topics. You might also look up a society of scholars like (e.g. International Directory of Scholars of the Sixteenth Century Society and Conference itergateway.org ).
Periodicals & Journal Articles
- ATLA Religion Database – (2.8 million resources indexed)
- ATLA is owed and hosted on EBSCO. At the top of the search page you can select a variety of other databases to search on EBSCO.
- JSTOR = “Journal Storage”
- Be sure to google the difference between these two databases. Eg. JSTOR means “journal storage” and they won’t have the last 5 years of articles stored so you must supplement with ATLA. The way they are tagged and the kinds of searches you can do differs too.)
- Cambridge Core searches books and journals published by Cambridge. cambridge.org/core/
- Brill Online Journals brill.com
- Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses
- Google Scholar can be a sort of last line of defense.
- Also check the Bibliographies and resources of other journals while you are doing research as a way to find content missed during your search.
Library Networks and Online Libraries
- LibWeb will give you a list of most of the major libraries in the world – lib-web.org
- German = Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (1875-1912) and now Neue Deutsche Biographie see deutsche-biographie.de
- America = American National Biography anb.org
- Britain = Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (ODNB) oxforddnb.com
- Significant Protestant theologians = Realencyklopadie fur protestantische Theologie und Kirche (its Eng. lang equal is New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia – a translation and expansion of the original) or Religion in Geschiche und Gegenwart for more recent European thinkers (Eng. Religion in Past and Present )