- OCLC’s WorldCat (for which, see the appendix below), but full-text access to both databases is limited, as is their international coverage
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations (http://oatd.org/) 1.6 million theses and dissertations. Good full text and international coverage.
- Harvard University’s website: http://guides.hcl.harvard.edu/dissertations. (The best international guide for dissertations)
- Electronic Theses Online Service (EThOS) of the British Library(http://ethos.bl.uk/) Best source for UK dissertations.
Print Dissertation Guides
- Gilbert, V. F., and D. S. Tada, comps. Womens Studies: A Bibliography of Dissertations,1870–1982. New York: Blackwell, 1985. Categorizes over 12,000 unpublished dis sertations, from American and British universities.
- Jacobs, Phyllis M., comp. History Theses, 1901-70: Historical Research for Higher Degrees in the Universities of the United Kingdom. London: University of Lon don, Institute of Historical Research, 1976. This is the British counterpart to Kuehl.
- Kuehl, Warren F. Dissertations in History: An Index to Dissertations Completed in History Departments of United States and Canadian Universities. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky. Vol. 1, 1873-1960 (1965); Vol. 2, 1961-1970 (91 72).
- La Noue, George R. A Bibliography of Doctoral Dissertations Undertaken in Amer ica and Canadian Universities, 1940-1962, on Religion and Politics. New York: Published for the Dept. of Religious Liberty by the Office of Publication and Distribution, National Council of Churches, 1963.
- Montgomery, Michael S., comp. American Puritan Studies: An Annotated Bibliography of Dissertations, 1882-1981. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1984.
- Reynolds, Michael M. Guide to Theses and Dissertations: An International Bibliog raphy of Bibliographies. Rev. and enlarged. Phoenix: Oryx, 1985. This reference must be consultedfor national guides to dissertations for non-English-speaking countries.
- Young, Arthur P., and E. Jens Holley, with Annette Blum. Religion and the American Experience, 1620-1900: A Bibliography of Doctoral Dissertations. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1992.