- ATLA Religion Database
- ATLA Serials
- Philosopher’s Index
- Bibliographical Information Base in Patristics
- Journal Storage (JSTOR)
- Periodicals Index Online (PIO) by ProQuest (Good for historical research on early periodicals from 1665 to 1995.
- The Philosopher’s Index: An International Index to Philosophical Periodicals. 1967 to date. https://philindex.org
- PhilPapers – http://philpapers.org
- Alkire, Leland G., Jr. Periodical Title Abbreviations. 2 vols. 9th ed. Detroit: Gale Re search, 1994. Vol. I is by abbreviation, vol. II by title. The work is international in scope and quite exhaustive.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index. Philadelphia: Institute for Scientific Information, 1976-. This international, comprehensive index covers all of the humanitie,s including religion, and it examines more than 200 journals in history. It is third in importance to America: History and Life, and Historical Abstracts, and like the latter, it can be searched online (see Appendix under Thomson Reuters andEBSCO).
- Balay, Robert. Early Periodical Indexes: Bibliographies and Indexes of Literature Published in Periodicals before 1900. Lanham, MD, 2000.
- Boehm Eric H., and Lalit Adolphus. Historical Periodicals: An Annotated World List of Historical and Related Serial Publications. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 1961. This is in 5 volumes. It examines 8,200 periodicals, four times as many entries in the field of history as Ulrich’s International Periodical Directory and Irregular Serials and Annuals.
- The Catholic Periodical and Literature Index. 1930 to date. Haverford, PA: Catholic Library Association. Bi-monthly. This index was entitled the Catholic Periodical Index until 1968. Presently, the online version should be consulted through the American Theological Library Association.
- Elenchus Bibliographicus Biblicus appears annually as issues 2 and 3 of the journal Ephemerides Theologicae Lovaniensis. Online searches are bysubscription only. See below.
- Ephemerides Theologicae Lovaniensis. University of Louvain. 1924 to date. (http://poj.peeters-leuven.be/content.php).
- Historical Abstracts: Bibliography of the World’s Periodical Literature. E. H. Boehm, ed. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 1955-. In two parts: Part A, Modern History Ab stracts 1450-1914, and Part B, Twentieth Century Abstracts 1914-Present. Pub lished four times a years, this is the leading index for history for the period after 1450 (excluding the U.S. and Canada, for which see under American History, Periodical Guides). The index abstracts and annotates articles from 2,100 jour nals published in some 80 countries utilizing 40 languages. A retrospective index published in 1988 is available and the entire database may be searched through institutional subscription (see Appendix under EBSCO).
- The Philosopher’s Index: A Retrospective Index to U.S. Publication from 1940. 3 vols. Bowling Green, OH: Philosophy Documentation Center, Bowling Green State University, 1978. A thesaurus was published for the index in 1979, and there is a separate index to non-English-language publications from 1940 (1980).
- Recently Published Articles. Washington, DC: American Historical Association, 1976-91. Published three times a year, each issue was approximately 150 pages and provided a comprehensive up-to-date international listing of articles by country and time period.
- Regazzi, John J., and Theodore C. Hines. A Guide to Indexed Periodicals in Religion. Metuchen: Scarecrow, 1975.
- Religion Index One: Periodicals; A Subject Index to Periodical Literature, Including an Author Index with Abstracts, and a Book Review Index. Vols. 1-. Chicago:
Open access to the titles of articles may be assumed unless otherwise noted.
- Catholic Historical Review. The Catholic University of America, 1915-. (http://cua press.cua.edu/journals/). Beginning with the July, 2000 issue the journal is available online at Project MUSE (http://muse.jhu.edu/) and earlier issues are available through JSTOR (http://jstor.org/). ‘J.’ables of contents, abstracts, and previews of pages are open access through Project MUSE and JSTOR.
- Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture. Cambridge, for the American Society of Church History, 1889-. (http://www.churchhistory.org/church-history-journal/). Three hard-copy cumulative indexes have been published (1889-1980). Tables of contents and abstracts from 1932 available at Cambridge, with most articles digitized from that date and available for purchase or rent (http://journals.cambridge.org/chh). Vols. for 1932-2002 are accessed at JSTOR by institutional and individual subscriptions, and vols. for 1964 to the present can be found at the ATLA/ATLAS aggregated database accessible only through libraries.
- Church History and Religious Culture (formerly Nederlands Archief voor Kerkgeschie denis). Brill, 1908-. Tables of contents available only from 2006 to the present (http://www.brill.com/church-history-and-religious-culture).
- Historisches Jahrbuch. Karl Alber, 1880-. Access to all tables of contents at http:// www.digizeitschriften.de/ under Zeitschriften
- Jahrbuch fur Liturgik und Hymnologie. J. Stauda, 1955-. Index of articles through 1996 (vol. 36); titles through 2010 (vol. 49) (http://www.iah.unibe.ch/jlh.html).
- Jahrbuch fur Religionsphilosophie. Alber, 2002-. Tables of contents for last two annualvolumes (http://www.verlag-alber.de/jahrbuecher/).
- Journal of Church and State. Oxford, 1959-. Individual articles for purchase (http:// jcs.oxfordjournals.org/
- Journal of Ecclesiastical History. Cambridge, 1950-. Articles for purchase or for rent (http://journals.cambridge.org/actio n/displayJou rn al?jid =ECH).
- Journal of Religious History. Religious History Association, 1960-. Articles for pur chase (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/io.1111/(ISSN)1467-98o9).
- Journal of the Canadian Church Historical Society. Canadian Church Historical So ciety, 1950-. Semiannual. Titles only. Cumulative index of papers and articles (1960-2009) athttp://churchhistcan.wordpress.com/.
- Orientalia christiana periodica. Pontificio Istituto Orientale, 1935-. Semiannual. Ta bles of contents and abstracts in English for last five vols. at http://orientalia christiana.it/.
- Revue d’histoire de l’Eglise de France. Editions Brepols, 1910-. The full text of the journal is open access at the Persee portal (http://www.persee.fr) through 1984 and Brepols Journals Online (http://www.brepolsonline.net/) for vols. 87 and following (from 2001), with tables of contents, but articles by subscription or purchase only.
- Revue d’Histoire Ecclesiastique. Brepols, 1900-. Tables of contents from vol. 96 (2001) forward; articles by subscription or for purchase (http://brepols.metapress.com/ journals/).
- Rivista di Storia della Chiesa in Italia. Istituto grafico tiberino, 1947-. Tables of contents from 2003, with articles for purchase (http://storiadellachiesainitalia.vitaepensiero.it/).
- Studia orientalia Christiana. Edizioni Terra Santa, 1956-. Articles bysubscription or for purchase at http://brepols.metapress.com /journals/.
- Theologische Literaturzeitung. Hinrichs, 1876-. Includes subject categories of church history and systematic theology; contents available by subscription only (http:// www.thlz.de/).
- Zeitschrift fur Kirchengeschichte. Kohlhammer, 1876-. One sample table of contentsonly (http://www.kohlhammer.de/). Tables of contents and some abstracts can be found at http://www.hsozkult.de/journal/page.
Most publishers of monograph series now provide tables of contents and many offer synopses or abstracts of the more recent monographs, with a few adding excerpted reviews. But it should be noted that out-of-print numbers are sometimes not listed, and hard-copy and paperback editions are occasionally counted by publishers as two separate numbers in the series. In order to provide a sense of the scale of the various collections, the number of titles (as of June 2013) are noted below for a few of the more important monograph series and a handful of minor series, but students should be aware that titles are regularly added to the more active series, sometimes
180 CHURCH HISTORY
many in a single year. Research students should also pay attention to the handbook and «companion,, series on individual persons, movements, and eras. Oxford, Cam bridge, Brill, Blackwell, and many other publishers have produced such series, but individual titles are far too numerous to list, though we have offered a few samples here as illustrative of what one may expect to find.
American Philosophical Society: Transactions. American Philosophical Society, 1771-. Currently, five scholarly monographs are published annually in the Trans actions. Recent titles covering vast areas in history and philosophy, including some church history, are found at http://www.amphilsoc.org/publiscations. A guide up to 1940 is found in Classified Index to the Publications of the American Philosophical Society: A List of Papers, Monographs, Treatises and Books Pub lished by the Society, 1769-1940, Classified according to Subject. Philadelphia,
Arbeit zur Kirchengeschichte. De Gruyter, 1925-. Founded by Karl Holl and Hans Lietzmann, this distinguished series of more than 125 titles includes some edi tions of texts but the majority are monographs (http://www.degruyter.com/ view/serial/16570).
Bibliographies and Indexes in Religious Studies. Greenwood, 1984-2006. For a list of the 57 titles, search the British Library main catalog (http://www.bl.uk/).
Blackwell Companions to British History. Wiley, 2002-. Summarizes recent schol arship on British history by century or era and topic (http://www.wiley.com/ WileyCDA/Section/id-324311.html).
Blackwell Companions to Religion. Wiley, 2000-. Titles of «companions” at http:// www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-398214.html.
Brill’s Companions to the Christian Tradition. Brill, 2006- (http://www.brill.com/ products/).
Brill’s Series in Church History. Brill, 2004-. The series commences at vol. 22 as a continuation of Kerkhistorische Bijdragen vols. 1-21 (1970-2003) and now extends to more than 60 titles overall. See http:// www.brill.com/publications/ brills-series-church-history and, for the first series, http://www.brill.com/pub lications/kerkhistorische-bijdragen.
Cambridge Companions to Philosophy, Religion and Culture. Cambridge, 1992-. Essay titles within the vols. of the series are listed online with access to indices. (http://universitypublishingonline.org/cambridge/ companions/).
Church of England Record Society Publications. Boydell & Brewer, 1994-. Edited records of the Church of England (http://www.coers.org/publications/index html).
Eastern Christian Studies. Peeters, 1998-. The accent is on international congresses, their reports and papers, but also monographs, notably on liturgical themes and Syriac Christianity (http://www.peeters-leuven.be/).
Hist6ria Religiosa. Fontes e Subsidos. Universidade Cat6lica Portuguesa/Centro de
Estudos de Hist6ria Religiosa, 1995-. The Center for the Study of Religious History, Lisbon, publishes three series, the two most important of which are Religious History. Sources and Grants with 12 titles including a bibliography of works on the church in Portugal, and Studies of Religious History, 1998- with 17 monographs. See http://www.ft.lisboa.ucp.pt/ under Centros de Estudio.
Historical Dictionaries of Religions, Philosophies, and Movements. Scarecrow, 91 96-. This series includes dictionaries on the Coptic Church, the Reforma tion, Anglicans, Puritans, Lutherans, Baptists, the Salvation Army, and so forth (http://rowman.com/page/hdseries).
Jews, Christians, and Muslims from the Ancient to the Modern World. Princeton University Press, 2002- . http://www.press.princeton.edu/series.html.
Kirchen- und Theologiegeschichte in Quellen. Neukirchener, 1985-. The series was originally edited by Heiko Oberman asa multivolume history of the church with primary documents in translation entitled Kirchen- und Theologiegeschichte in Quellen: ein Arbeitsbuch. The series title was shortened to its present form and extends to 12 volumes with new editions appearing periodically. Vol. 6 of the series (AuBereuropfilsche Christentumsgeschichte: Asien, Afrika, Latein amerika 1450-1990) has appeared in English (http://www.neukirchener-verlage
Orientalia Christiana Analecta. Pontifical Oriental Institute, 1923-. Replaces Orien talia Christiana in 1935 at vol. 100, of which about a third are listed under “other publications” (http://www.orientaliachristiana.it/). The entire list of nearly 200 titles of the second series of texts and monographs since 1935, embracing all aspects of the eastern church, is found at the same web address.
Oxford Handbooks of Religion. Oxford, 2004-. Abstracts of all articles within the volumes are accessible, but full articles require a subscription or purchase at http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/.
Oxford Studies in Historical Theology. Oxford, 1994-. (http://ukcatalogue.oup
Sermo. Studies on Patristic, Medieval, and Reformation Sermons and Preaching. Brepols, 2006-. The first number in this series is a 4-vol. Repertorium of more than 1,000 Middle English sermons (http://www.brepols.net/Pages/Search
Studien zur AuBereuropaischen Christentumsgeschichte (Asien, Afrika, Latein amerika). Studies in the History of Christianity in the Non-Western World. Harrassowitz, 1998- . Monographs with synopses and some tables of contents for titles since 2002. Also note the sister series Dokumente zur AuBereuropaischen Christentumsgeschichte published by Harrassowitz since 2010 at http://www
Studies in Christian Mission. Brill, 1990- . All titles are provided with synopses, but tables of contents only since 2007 (http://www.brill.com/publications/studies
Studies in Church History. Ecclesiastical History Society, 1964-. Proceedings of the bi-annual conferences at http://www.history.ac.uk/ehsoc/publications.
Studies in the History of Christian Missions. Eerdmans, 2000-. (http://www
Studies in the History of Christian Traditions. Brill, 1966-. Formerly, Studies in the History of Christian Thought. Over 160 titles, and most from 1980 are listed with abstracts at http://www.brill.com/products.
Studies in the History of Religious and Political Pluralism. Peter Lang, 2007-. (http://
Studies in Women and Religion. Mellen, 1977-. List of 44 titles at http://www
Texte zur Kirchen- und Theologiegeschichte. Giitersloher, 1966-82. Titles are listed by the Library of Congress (http://catalog.loc.gov/).